The Education Committee is responsible for providing training and information to our members on wastewater related topics. The membership is comprised of vendors, wastewater operators, regulatory personnel and consulting engineers. We strive to provide training and information applicable to all wastewater professionals.
Another function of the Education Committee is the judging of local science fairs for middle and high school students. Our members volunteer a few hours to visit a local college or university and judge the science fair projects for the Water Environment Science Award. This award is sponsored by the Section and State to encourage Ohio’s youth to become involved in protecting the environment and improving stream water quality through science and technology. The award is presented at the Ohio Academy of Sciences District and State Fairs. The award includes a plaque and $75 gift card to Borders or Barnes and Noble Bookstores.
All Science Day projects devoted to stream water quality, water reclamation, or wastewater treatment are eligible for consideration for the Water Environment Science Award. A superior project should be carefully designed and scientifically conducted. Projects should be creative, demonstrate proper use of scientific method, and incorporate accurate information and appropriate technology. Some examples of winning projects are: Ground Water Pollution, Methane Gas Production, Modeling Pollution Effects on a Stream, Industrial Wastes in a Stream, Agricultural Run-off Pollutants, Study of Lake Pollutants, Filtration, Phosphorous Treatment or Removal, Ammonia Treatment or Removal, Sludge Treatment & Utilization, and Wastewater Treatment by Biological or Chemical Process.
The Ohio Water Environment Association (OWEA) also presents science fair project awards at State Science Day. The criteria are the same and the awards are as follows:
» $1,000 Scholarship Awarded to the Best Junior or Senior Project, a plaque & presentation of the award at the OWEA Annual Conference held in June each year
• 1st Place Award – $500 Savings Bond
• 2nd Place Award – $300 Savings Bond
• 3rd Place Award – $200 Savings Bond
For additional information on the State Science Day awards, please visit the OWEA website.
- Seek technical speakers that are both knowledgeable and interesting to staff the Speaker slates for the Supervisory and Operations Seminars..
- Coordinate with the section Vice President to research potential speakers for these events.
- Provide much of the information for the Form A’s and biographies to the second year EC member at least six weeks in advance of the event for contact hour approval.
- A separate member of the committee will facilitate the section-related efforts with the Science Fairs in the section including staffing judges for each event.